The Microbiologist reports to the Production Quality Manager and will conduct testing on incoming raw ingredients and finished products.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Review and release incoming ingredients for use
- Perform and apply independent judgment in the interpretation of qualitative test results and notify laboratory management of deviations
- Prepare and analyze samples for indicator organisms, pathogens, and chemistries
- Apply aseptic/microbiological techniques in daily workload
- Conduct additional testing as needed based upon an independent review of test results
- Accurately perform final determination of special micros and complete final results disposition
- Communicate results including pathogenic confirmations and maintain a positive relationship with vendors and internal stakeholders
- Perform routine environmental monitoring on temperature and humidity
- Collect, monitor and send samples to outside laboratories as required
- Document analytical results and quality control. Ensure sample results conform to testing specifications for process monitoring and compliance purposes
- Follows Standard Operating Procedures for all test parameters and produce accurate analytical reports including discrepancies and out-of-limit conditions
- Calibrate and maintain laboratory equipment
- Assist with auditing production and sanitation program
- Assist with data entry of batch results
- Provides audit preparation assistance including record review, cleaning tasks, etc.
- Prepares standards, reagents, chemical solutions, etc. for required testing
- Observe expiration dates and set testing parameters
- Follows all safety rules and use appropriate safety equipment
- Serve as backup for Lab Technicians
- Other tasks as assigned
- Two or more years of experience in a commercial food-testing, cosmetic testing, or analytical laboratory
- Familiar with FDA and EU requirements preferred
- Working knowledge of aseptic sampling technique, automated lab equipment, and acceptable methods and procedures
- Interactive and fast-paced team-oriented tasks
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Color vision and depth perception
This job operates in a laboratory and manufacturing environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products, supplies, and lab supplies up to 50 pounds.
This position may require occasional travel to other sites.
- Associate’s Degree in Microbiology
- Certification: MLT(ASCP) or equivalent
- Bachelor's Degree in Microbiology
- Certification: MT(ASCP) or equivalent